Organizing Web Information (was: Something Missing)

Martin Cohen mjc at simon.stmarys-ca.edu
Thu Jul 11 21:25:10 EDT 1996

I'm sure that the beliefs / desires expressed are sincerely felt by many.
That is, "no one wants an index of sources, they just want the answer...".
And that soon it will be possible to provide the answer by some technical
means which does not involve indexing, cataloging, classifying,
abstracting, or other intellectual skills. It is a chimera.

I first heard these sentiments expressed, in almost the exact words used
by Temple Hoff, in 1972 when I was studying for my Master's in Cybernetic
Systems. That's when we put in decks of FORTRAN cards and were amazed to
get a printout response back in as little as 2 hours (I saw, but did not
get to use, a terminal running BASIC that was actually connected directly
to the computer!).

Only to say that the wish will not go away. But that should not distract
us from the reality. As Aristotle said (why go back only to the 16th
century?), "it is the mark of an educated mind to expect that amount of
exactness ... which the nature of the particular subject admits."

BTW Dewey puts Aristotle with the ancient Greek classics, rather than
with philosophy. But that was no hindrance to finding the text on the
shelf since the (computer) catalog told me where to look. A Web index
would do the same. That kind of indexing and cataloging can be done to
find a text. But finding "the answer" is another matter entirely. As
Gertrude Stein is reported to have said on her deathbed, "What is the
question?"

Martin J. Cohen                                 mcohen at stmarys-ca.edu
Systems and Media Librarian                     voice: (510) 631-4229
Saint Mary's College of California              fax:   (510) 376-6097
Moraga, CA 94575                                ars longa vita brevis