Organizing Web Information

Woodward Jeannette WOODWARD at fogelson.csf.edu
Thu Jul 11 20:13:58 EDT 1996

Has anyone on the list heard anything about shared-annotations used
with Harvest tools as a possible alternative to a central catalog.

I know very little about them but apparently any number of libraries
could be responsible for their own sets of annotations. The
annotations would be similar to cataloging records and would be
attached to the documents they describe. Each library would be
responsible for maintaining their own annotations and apparently if
an Internet resource disappeared, the annotation would go with it so
there would be no dead ends. Most annotation schemes I've read about
seem to depend on Harvest which would search all annotations or
selected sets.

I know next to nothing about this and can't seem to find more.  Has
anyone run into other information?

Jeannette Woodward
College of Santa Fe