OPAC in the Web Environment

Andrea Hoerr ahoerr at nyc.pipeline.com
Tue Jul 9 12:17:58 EDT 1996

We are a small corporate library in New York and are currently evaluating
integrated library systems to automate our library.  It may be a few months
before we have decided on a system (Ameritech, Sirsi or ILS), and then more
months before all the data is input.  What I would like to do (I am the
SysAdmin for the library) is to come up with an interim solution for an
electronic catalog (we currently have only index cards) that would allow us
to set up a full-MARC database that is searchable with Netscape via our
Intranet.  Then, once we have the full-blown system in place, I can simply
export the MARC records.

Does anyone know of a way that I can do this?  I looked at the LOC home
page and they have some software that converts ASCII to MARC and back, but
the resulting record is not exactly usable with a run-of-the-mill database.

I am much obliged for any feedback or hints!  Also, if anyone has any
experience with Ameritech, Sirsi or ILS that they would be willing to
share, please, don't hold back!