Netscape on Windows95 for the Public

David Christensen dave at ci.pasadena.ca.us
Tue Jan 30 19:06:11 EST 1996

Holly Hinman wrote:

> Hi Krista,
>
> Carole Leita of the Berkeley Public Library has developed a document on
> "How to Edit Netscape for Public Access" which does what you want.  It is
> mounted on the InFoPeople Home Page at
>
>         http://www.library.berkeley.edu:8000/NS/index.html
>
> If you need more assistance, I'm sure that Carole would be willing to
> advise you.  Her e-mail is leita at netcom.com

Thanks for the info.  You might want to re-check that URL???
I have looked at this page before, the problem still looms because we are using
Windows95 not Window 3.x.  We all ready do have stations deployed for our public in
the Central library connected a clamped tight Novell server.  These stations are
diskless Windows 3.x PC's.  It is easy to control the access with this scenario.  The
problem gets tough when start to deploy Windows PC's out in the branches.  My thought
was to use Windows95 and use its abilities to lock out a lot of functionality and just
give the user access to Netscape.  This also gives us the benifit of administering
these PC's remotely thanks to the built in networking support of Windows95.  Our main
problem is Netscape talks directly to the Windows95 registry and I cannot figure out
how to lock it out.  Microsoft/DELL which is where our support comes from was "0"
help.

So here I am left.  I have shut/locked everything else down within Windows95 except
the ability to edit the options within Netscape.

Thanks for your help,

David E. Christensen
Network Operations Manager
City of Pasadena, Department of Information Services
(818)405-4251 Office        (818)449-2165 Fax
dave at ci.pasadena.ca.us