Hypercard to HTML

Kevin Justie kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
Thu Jan 25 11:52:27 EST 1996

>I'm working on creating a Web page for my department and would like to know if
>there's an easy way to transfer a Hypercard stack (our whole Dept. Manual) to
>HTML.

It may not qualify as "easy," but if you're willing to use Hypertalk,
Hypercard's programming language, you can do just about anything you want
with Hypercard data and html.  For examples of what's possible, you can
check the following URLs on our site:

   http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/orrs/orrsgov.html
   http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/mgpl/calcurr.html
   http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/mgpl/maglist.html
   http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/colldev/adultnf.html

The first three are essentially listings of Hypercard data from all cards
in a stack.  The fourth is part of our Collection Development Policy, and
may be more applicable in terms of a department manual.  The Policy
includes 6 pages generated from the Hypercard stack in which the policy was
written, along with 5 introductory pages created the normal way  -- i.e.
manual html tagging.

The body portion of each of these pages, including all data, indexes and
links, is generated entirely in Hypertalk.  The header and credits
information is from text files (on disk) containing the standard elements
common to all our pages. These are read in in the Hypertalk script, then
modified as necessary for each page, such as adding the link to next
month's calendar on the calendar page, and adding the URL at the bottom of
very page.

Kevin Justie
Head of Technical and Automated Services
Morton Grove Public Library
Morton Grove, IL
(847) 965-4220
kjustie at mgk.nslsilus.org
http://www.nslsilus.org/mgkhome/
Opinions expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect
offical Library policy.