FTP server from your Windows box!

Ernest Perez, Oregon State Library perez at OPAC.OSL.STATE.OR.US
Wed Jan 24 18:33:55 EST 1996

Ran across a $15-CHEAP shareware package that may be of interest and real help
to Web4Lib folk.
(Hope it's not something that everyone in the world but me already knew about!)

It's WFTPD, an FTP daemon for Windows.  It allows you to set up your Windows
machine as an FTP server, and run in background under Windows.  Super-simple
menued config for security, anon and passworded access, directory access
restrictions, etc.  Even a log file so you can see who accessed and what went on
during their session.

I don't mean that you want to try to be an FTP archive, that probably ain't your
intention, or within the bandwidth or processing power limits for your desktop
unit. But WFTPD is _really_ handy for all those little local and remote file
transfers that have been a hassle in the past.  You know, having to transfer
from your PC up to an FTP server, getting anonymous or passworded access
authority, etc., etc.  In contrast, with WFTPD you can:

  * Copy the file(s) you want to share to your ./anonymous or ./public directory
  * Click on your WFTPD icon, probably want to run it minimized
  * Call Fred or Mary or whoever, and tell them to get whatzis via FTP from
      "my FTP site."  Give 'em instructions for anonymous or username/password.
  * Turn it off when they've got it, or you remember to do so

Oh, yeah.  I assume you know you have to have a network or a SLIP/PPP connection
for your machine!

I append below the short .doc file from WFTPD.

Cheers,
-ernest

Ernest Perez, Ph.D.     503/378-4243,xt 257
perez at opac.state.or.us  Oregon State Library
                        Salem OR 97310

The usual disclaimer: No, it wasn't me; somebody else must have used my password

SimTel/win3/winsock
WFTPD201.ZIP    Windows FTP daemon 2.01 for Winsock 1.1

Uploaded by the author - security update, replaces WFTPD200.ZIP.

WFTPD - the all round useful Windows FTP Daemon.

(As used by id Software, makers of Doom, Heretic, Wolfenstein, and many
other great programs.  Also used at many other institutions - not
counting site licences, I have over 750 registrations)

WFTPD has the following useful features:

o RFC compliance to 959 & 1123
o Support for the majority of FTP commands (it doesn't support the obscure
  ones for mail, etc.)
o Multiple logins and simultaneous transfers allowed
o Works with Mosaic / NetScape / Cello - even over remote links!
o Runs (tested) over most Winsock drivers (some people have reported
  occasional problems, but this is usually fixed by updating to the
  current version of the winsock driver)
o Site can be made read-only, or read-only to anonymous users
o User-configurable time-out on hung/idle connections.
o Fast - I get 120-500K per second on average over 8 bit ethernet
o Secured access by means of password authentication, address-based host
  authentication, and the ability to restrict users to named subtrees of
  your directory structure
o Further security by means of user rights which may be set easily on any
  directories in your system - including those that don't yet exist!
o Does not make unexpected Internet transmissions of secret messages
o Remote access to ALL drives on your system is possible
o Windows friendly - does not flash cursors while it is transferring, or
  hold up processing
o Can run 'invisible' - with no user access to the program
o No documentation has been plagiarised from any other program
o Easy configuration of user/password lists, security features, logging to
  file.  All features adjustable through menus - no need to edit clumsy INI
  files.
o Logs logins, anonymous logins, gets, puts, commands - what's logged is
  configurable
o Logs to file that can be read by other applications, including session
  number, time and date stamp.  This information is also logged to the
  screen.  Other Windows applications can read this log while it is open,
  and it can be transferred through WFTPD.
o Most strings can be edited in the resource information - for
  customisation, or language translation
o Small - around 200K
o Over 700 registrations received - many for site licences.
o Microsoft 3D controls are used
o Tested and working on Windows '95 (rumour has it that somebody uses it
  at Microsoft)
o Status bar display of count of users, and number of sockets in use
o Context sensitive help included on all dialogs
o Cute little icon

In addition, for the low price of $15, you get these features:

o Easily configurable greeting - the unregistered one tells people that
  you haven't registered
o As many transfers per login as required - only 5 are allowed in the
  unregistered version before you have to re-login.  (Directory listings
  don't count towards this 5)  (And only 15 PASV transfers are allowed
  before having to restart the server in the unregistered version)
o Greater say in future features
o Peace of mind - can you sleep at nights knowing that your $15 may be the
  only thing standing between me and an overdraft/green card/new computer?