FW: 'official' versions of university documents

Susan Brown SBROWN at ADMIN1.CC.COLORADO.EDU
Wed Jan 24 14:37:00 EST 1996

I agree.  If a document is dynamic, the question of what to archive can
become very difficult.  Do you preserve each version of the document or only
preserve a version once a year?  There are no easy answers.

The other problem with a dynamic catalog (course listings and requirements)
is that students typically have entered the college or university under a
specific edition.  At several of the schools in which I have worked, a
student may point back to that edition as the catalog (the graduation
requirements) they would like to graduate under, even if the requirements
change.  So if the catalog changes several times in the year, which version
is an entering student held to?  Perhaps the answers to these questions are
set into policy by each individual university.

Another archiving problem occurs to me.  Dr. Richardson is right.  The web
can be so much more than the paper version.  If a catalog has links to a
course syllabus or to a course page with assignments and student imput, does
that get preserved as well?  Do you preserve the fact that there was a link
but not worry about tha document that it was linked to?  But perhaps this is
food for another list.

Susan Brown
Interdisciplinary Librarian
Colorado College