Microsoft Explorer for Windows 3.1 -- a subjective evaluation

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Wed Jan 24 11:04:17 EST 1996

Well, it's back to the browser wars, I guess.  I'll admit up front that
I'm running Windows 95, so I'm looking at [slightly] different versions of
these browsers, but I find their performance, functionality, and-how
should I say this?-disdain for standards compliance roughly the same.
(Well, Netscape does handle align="right" and MSIE doesn't yet, so
score one for Netscape.)

For what it's worth, I've heard a Microsoft rep say that MSIE is and will
be free, period, and Bill Gates was quoted as saying that Microsoft is
looking at browsers as a zero-revenue market.  If you have, or work with,
non-academic, non-public library users, that'll save you forty bucks a
copy.  Score one for MSIE.

Whether either browser is demonstrably better on some objective scale,
I don't know (lemme know when you folks come up with that scale, btw).
I do know that Netscape and MSIE aficionados have been bashing each
other over the head for months over on c.i.www.*, and it isn't worth the
aggravation to take sides.

Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu