Hiliting Asparagus

emiller at smtpgwy.isinet.com emiller at smtpgwy.isinet.com
Tue Jan 23 09:22:28 EST 1996

          Well, I must admit I floated this to Thom before posting to
          the entire group. Thom asked for a chocolate cake recipe and
          here is the easiest, quickest, most delicious chocolate cake
          recipe I know.  I was a little leery about posting this
          recipe as some of the lists I have been on frowned on
          anything that wasn't directly related to the list topic.

          On the other hand, I decided everyone doing web things in
          libraries deserved a quick and wonderful recipe.  I have to
          credit my mom for sending it to me when I needed a
          quick-to-prepare cake..... Enjoy....

                           Texas 22-Minute Cake

   In saucepan combine:  1 stick margarine
     1/2 c. crisco
     1 cup water
     3-4 T cocoa

   Bring to a boil over medium heat, remove from heat and stir until
   smooth Then pour over:

     2 c flour and
     2 c sugar

   which have been previously mixed together in a large bowl. blend.
          Then add:

     1/2 c buttermilk (or milk soured with a little vinegar)
     2 eggs
     1 t each:  baking soda, cinnamon, vanilla

    Pour into greased and floured cake pan (jelly roll or 9 x 13) and
          cook for 20 minutes at 400.

    While cake is cooking, combine in same saucepan:

     1 stick margarine
     3-4 T cocoa
     1/3 c milk
    Heat over low heat until warm and smooth.  Add:

     1 lb. powdered sugar
     1 1/2 t vanilla
     1 c chopped pecans

    Remove cake from oven & immediately pour the frosting on the top,
          spreading to cover and then let cool.  Cover with foil,
          keep moist.

    The changes I made: I left out the cinnamon and replaced with
          Amaretto extract.  In the frosting, I used 1 t vanilla, 1 t
          Amaretto extract and toasted chopped almonds instead of the
          pecans.

Elisa Miller                            "Whatever you can do or
Institute for Scientific Information    dream you can, begin it.
3501 Market Street                      Boldness has genius, power
Philadelphia, Pa 19104                  and magic in it."
(215)386-0100 x 1395                                   Goethe
emiller at isinet.com
URL - http://www.isinet.com