Thumb Nail Images

Allan Bell BELL at library.uta.edu
Thu Jan 11 12:46:53 EST 1996

> >Basically with psp you:
> >1) Open gif file and convert said graphic to jpg (easier to convert colours
> >in jpg) (do a save-as operation on it)
> >2) Increase its colours to 16 million
>
> I'm leery about this step.  You can't actually increase the number
> of colors in the image, and I've heard graphics gurus say that this
> can lead to inaccurate color mapping in the final image.

I would like to back up the leeriness.  While not a graphics guru,
this will make the color mapping strange and the jpeg compression
algorithm (lossy) discards data from the image.  However, perhaps the
I doth protest too much because it IS a thumbnail.

I use photoshop to add a watermark and make thumbnails.  We are just
taking baby steps into this area, but if you want to see some of the
images, try

http://www.uta.edu/library/SpCo/fwst/

for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram Photograph Collection.  This is an
exhibit which we hope to be able to transform into a full fledged
imaging project and search service (funding permitting 8-).
allan

 Allan Bell - Systems Librarian - University of Texas at Arlington
Box 19497 Arlington Texas 76019-0497 - 817-272-3174 - fax 817-794-5797
                        bell at library.uta.edu
                     http://www.uta.edu/library/