Web Based Interlibrary Loan systems

Ramona Madewell madewell at library.vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jan 4 10:49:13 EST 1996

Our ILL request forms on our web have been very popular since their
introduction last spring, generating over 100 requests per month some
months.  We have them in a restricted directory so that only patrons
associated with our university can get to them.  I will send Alicia a
copy of the forms and the scripts (written in Perl).  Anyone else who is
interested in seeing them should send me a message also.  (We have
two forms: one for books and one for journal articles.)

In addition to the forms themselves, we have several pages which describe
our interlibrary loan service (policies, guidelines, etc.)  Those are not
restricted, so anyone who'd like to look at them is welcome to point to:
http://www.library.vanderbilt.edu/ill.html

Questions about how it's all working (from the ILL perspective) should be
addressed to Jim Toplon, who is manager of our ILL service,
(toplon at library.vanderbilt.edu).

> Date:          Tue, 2 Jan 1996 10:08:25 -0800
> From:          "Alicia D. Abramson" <AABRAMS at american.edu>
> To:            Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject:       Web Based Interlibrary Loan systems

> Can anyone point me to some good examples of ILL request forms on the
> Web as well as actual cgi scripts and descriptions of how the systems
> work?  We're interested in developing a Web based ILL request form as
> a way to automate this process and so I'm also interested in knowing
> both the advantages and drawbacks to this approach to automating ILL.
> (eg. are there compelling reasons why or why not to go this route?)
>
>                              *-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-
>                              | Alicia Abramson        |
>                              * Head, Library Systems  *
>                              | American University    |
>                              * (202) 885-3228         *

* Ramona J. Madewell
* Automation Project Librarian
* Resource Services - Automation
* Vanderbilt University Library
* 419 21st Avenue South
* Nashville, TN 37240
* Phone:  615-322-7125     Fax: 615-343-0394

* internet: madewell at library.vanderbilt.edu