Proper Use of Subject line

skindrf1 skindrf1 at teomail.jhuapl.edu
Fri Jan 5 15:02:34 EST 1996

SUBJECT LINE WAS:Re[2]: Web Based Interlibrary Loan systems (fwd)

So once again 2200 people who think they are reading something of interest to
themselves and their organization have wasted their time reading someones
unsigned diatribe against someone who is trying to keep a little order in this
group.

Please think about  how what you are saying relates to whats in that subject
line and whether it should be said to one person or 2200.

and please have a nice weekend.

Bob Skinder
Library - JHU/APL
410-792-6000 ext. 4685
skindrf1 at teomail.jhuapl.edu

On Wed, 3 Jan 1996 10:03:38 -0800, you wrote:

>>For those of you who are new to interaction with large electronic mailing
>>lists such as Web4Lib, you should know that postings such as these which
>>merely say "me too" or "let me know the results" should never be posted to
>>the discussion itself. They should be directed to the *individual*
>>instead.

>On the other hand, if so many posts didn't begin or end with "send answers
>to me not to the list, maybe people wouldn't feel the necessity of posting
>these "me, too" messages.

It is usually newbies who do not understand how the system works that
post these wasted "me too" messages.  If you also want the answers
that X requests sent to them, shouldn't you ask X, not 2200 list
members?

>>It may do us all some good if we keep in mind that this list is comprised
>>of about 2200 individuals around the world, most of whom are quite busy
>>people. The more we can keep this discussion pithy, on target, and
>>substantive the more we will all enjoy participating in it.

>Discussion is two-way, and includes answers as well as queries.

Generally, anyone who is competent enough to send a useful reply will
be competent enough to send a copy to both requestor and the list if
it is relevant.

The list should be two way, NOT three way.  That is, it should have
both questions and answers, but not "me toos".