Searching your Web pages

Kevin C. Marsh iai at neosoft.com
Thu Feb 15 15:24:50 EST 1996

>Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 11:20:29 -0800
>Sender: web4lib at library.berkeley.edu
>From: lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu (Linda Hyman)
>To: Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
>Subject: Re: Searching your Web pages
>

>--========================_20447205==_
>
>There are many free search programs "out there."  Here is one we are using
>that I am sending as an attachment.  You need only modify the locations
>that it searches to yours.  You will also need to have these kinds of
>privileges available on your server.
>
>Here is one cgi repository which I couldn't get to:
>http://www.wolfenet.com/~rniles/cgi.html   and there are others.
>
>>If there is a facility to search the text of your institution's Web pages I
>>would be pleased to know what search engine is used and where the software, or
>>further details of it, can be found.

These solutions are fine if you have just a few pages and need an internal
search capability, but if you are putting substantive collections of
information on-line at your Web site you really should consider a WAIS or
Z39.50 compliant search capability.  This will allow your collection to be
inter-searched with other, similar or related collections at other sites.
Ask yourself, will users of this search engine be interested in information
from other sites at the same time?  Often the answer is yes.

For standards-compliant freeware I suggest freeWAIS-sf from
http://ls6-www.informatik.uni-dortmund.de/freeWAIS-sf
or Isite from http://vinca.cnidr.org/software/Isite/Isite.html (both URLs
copied, not typed!).

Kevin C. Marsh, Executive Director