Web Publications & Tenure

David P Atkins notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Thu Feb 15 10:05:17 EST 1996

Hello all,

At LSU, we are grappling with the issue of Web publications and tenure
requirements: Research, Service & Job Performance.  All seem to be in
agreement (The other day, the Earth standing still was the result of our
faculty being in agreement.  Thought you should know) that electronic analogs
to traditional published-in-print examples of research & service (e.g.
article or editorship in electronic, peer-reviewed journal, maintenance
of a professional society's web site, etc.)

One issue to be resolved:  Are self published, annotated internet finding
aids (webliographies) considered research or job performance.  Creation
of archival finding aids & of databases have traditionally been lumped w/
research.  Now, members of the library faculty are creating
webliographies that are used by libraries across the country & given
various stamps of approval by external sources (e.g. UMich/Argus
Clearinghouse).  The value of these external reviews in the tenure
process has yet to be determined.

The faculty may agree that if a webliography is peer-reviewed by an
external source, then the work could be considered 'research', for tenure
& reappointment purposes.  But who does or will do the review.

My query, are any of you addressing this same or similar issue and if so,
what questions & answers are you coming up with?

I'll be asking this same question in other forums (ACRL for example) &
can bring additional input into any discussion

I'd be happy to summarize for the list.

Thanks,
David

David P. Atkins
Electronic Reference Services Librarian
Middleton Library                    email:  notdpa at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu
Louisiana State University                     voice:   (504) 388-6823
Baton Rouge, LA 70803-3300                      fax:    (504) 388-6825