Black pages

David L. King dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu
Fri Feb 9 12:29:05 EST 1996

> The legal scope of "indecent" content is broad enough to affect many
> libraries. I disagree that the burden with be on adult-oriented
> companies: they don't _want_ to provide free access, and will be
> happy, by and large, to limit access to someone with a credit
> card number.

ok - agreed.

> But material on subjects like AIDS, or Rennassance painting, or
> American history (try explaining 1968) or literature like Ulysses
> can all be impacted.

But, is this a problem now? My understanding of this bill is that now, if
they want to, the FCC can "regulate" the Internet, much like they
"regulate" broadcast tv and radio. But things like date rape, civil
rights, AIDS, etc. are all represented on tv and radio - why would the
fcc do anything different on the internet?

			David King
			Electronic Services Librarian
			University of Southern Mississippi
			dlking at ocean.st.usm.edu