Is there already a solution for commerce in the internet???

Ismet Mazlumoglu mazlumog at boun.edu.tr
Tue Feb 6 21:11:24 EST 1996

On Tue, 6 Feb 1996, Roberto Nascimento wrote:

> Why is not secure to type the credit card number even in a Netscape =
> browser? If it is encrypted why is not secure? That little key on the =

I believe that nothing is secure in computers. If you subscribe to a
mailing list about security or read some books about networks you'll see
that there's no solution in fact.

> it safe or not. The question is: if it's already known that is not safe, =
> why do they write this? Or if it is safe, why all this thing about =
> DigiCash, FV and others? Is there already a solution or not?

Because everything is a software that some fellow had written it, this
means another can write something to crash it (mostly successful!). Think
that you computer encrypted your data and sent it to shop's computer.
Then shop's computer has to unencrypt it. It is resolvable by another
host. If someone solves the encryption method, he can get all the secret
data.
The only solution: don't panic and let everything go whatever like it is.

 [ Ismet Mazlumoglu                  Internet: mazlumog at boun.edu.tr     ]
 [ Bogazici University Library       Bitnet  : mazlumoi at trboun.bitnet   ]
 [ Automation Section                Phone   : 212 - 263 15 40 ext.1530 ]