Web sites for library staff

David J. Ives eldjives at showme.missouri.edu
Thu Dec 19 09:49:47 EST 1996

At 01:58 PM 18/12/96 -0800, Tracy Babiasz wrote:
>Do any of your libraries maintain web sites for staff use only--separate
>and apart from the library's web site?  My vision is of a site
>where manuals, documents and files can be updated once without having to
>distribute new copies to many people. Of course, it would be a natural
>sharing place for other types of information as well.   My concern is that
>it would serve no purpose that internal e-mail and the main library web
>site couldn't serve if used wisely. For those of you that have one, what
>do you place on it?  Does all info have to go through a webmaster, or can
>anyone upload info?
>
>I would be interested in hearing from anyone involved in such a situation.
>Thanks for your help!

We have maintained a library Intranet for ca. 2 years now - sharing
announcements, FAQs, Tips, appropriate WWW hotlinks, "emergency"
information, desk schedules, etc. etc. etc. among all of the netowrked
staff, or sub-groups thereof.  It is accessible *only* to Libraries staff.
Each of the webpage sections has a de facto webmaster -- he/she has full
responsibility for maintaining the currency & appropriateness of that section.

David Ives

David J. Ives
Head, Microcomputer Systems Group
U. of Missouri Libraries