Design books

Bob Long bob at mail.esrl.lib.md.us
Wed Dec 18 22:32:27 EST 1996

>> Siegel shouldn't have to defend himself that vigorously (especially not
>> if he cites Tufte!)
>
>Agreed.  He clearly understands the limitations of his design guidelines.
>How many of his readers understand those limitations and their consequences
>is up in the air.

I would consider it a giant leap forward if people would understand the
limitations and consequences of horizontal rules, table borders and bulleted
lists, much less David Siegel's guidelines.
        BTW, I think that line was mean't to say that Siegel shouldn't have
to defend himself, because people should be more open-minded and accepting
of his ideas, not that he finds flaws or limitations with his concepts.
(note the Tufte reference)
        It's clear that Thomas and I are firmly entrenched in opposing camps
on this issue. I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Thomas
has made many significant contributions to this list in the time that I've
been on it. I can only hope that he feels I have something of value to
offer, too.
        Thomas, it's like Mitnick said to Tsutomu, "I respect your skills."

Bob