fortres or ikiosk ?

Mike_Poulin MPOULIN at liber.ithaca.edu
Fri Dec 6 16:18:51 EST 1996

We have Foolproof from Smartstuff Software (http://www.smartstuff.com)
installed on our macs for security.  It works well, is easy to configure
and has a variety of different levels of security you can install.
In addition, it is comparatively inexpensive and they have site licenses.
At least on the mac side, you can restrict where files may be stored,
what programs may be run, and if you are allowed to make changes to
Netscape's setup.

We have been very pleased with it.  Recommended.

They also have security products for Windows 3.x and Win95 though we
have not used them.  We use very simple security with editting the
progman.ini file to add restrictions and attrib on certain files to
prevent them from being changed.  Thus far, we have has limited problems.
(knock on wood)  I would certainly evaluate Smartstuff's win products first
if I were looking for a security program because of our success with the
mac side.

Mike Poulin
Systems Librarian
Ithaca College Library