ExciteWS and AIX

Jim Green JFGREEN at CMS.CC.WAYNE.EDU
Thu Aug 29 15:22:47 EDT 1996

Has anyone out there successfully implemented Excite for Web Servers under
AIX 3.2?  We downloaded and installed it with no problems, but the indexing
process always dies with the following error message:

Error removing index files from temporary build location
to new locations: No child processes.

I saw in one of the FAQs on Excite's web site that this can be caused when
directory ExciteWS is installed in is not writeable by the user our web
server (NCSA HTTPd 1.5.2) runs as.  But it is!  It does look like some kind
of problem with permissions, but we have tried everything we can think of
to no avail.  My pleas to Excite's support dept. have gone unanswered.  If
anyone can shed any light on this, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks.

*    James F. Green                                  *
*    Systems Librarian                               *
*    Wayne State University/DALNET Systems Office    *
*    jfgreen at cms.cc.wayne.edu                        *
*    tel: (313) 577-6439  fax:  (313) 577-8720       *