Unsub requests posted to list

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Mon Aug 19 08:09:37 EDT 1996

There have been several postings recently along the lines of "How do I get
off this list?"  I suppose I sound a little uncharitable saying this, but
self-sufficiency is one of the most valuable commodities on the net, and we
could all stand to increase our supply of it.  The command for getting of
this (or almost any) list is available in many places.

First, everyone who subscribed to the list got a message that pointedly
said "please save this message"; the unsub command was included there.
Second, postings on the list occasionally refer to a web site containing
information about the list; this web site is indexed in the major web
indexes and includes the unsub command.  Third, the last time I checked
most beginner's guides to the Internet included basic listserv/listproc
commands.  Many of us would also find the necessary information if we asked
our co-workers in the next office.

Finally, and as a last resort, you can ask the list, and receive a couple
dozen responses, most of which should say:

  Send a message to listserv at library.berkeley.edu with no subject line
  and the single text line of "unsubscribe web4lib"

OBWebStuff: could Netscape have possibly picked a smarmier, smugger picture
of Marc Andreesen for the TechVision section of their home page?  At least
their main competitor knows enough to keep their geekiest looking
executive's picture off the home page.  :-)

Thomas Dowling                    \ tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Asst. Director, Client/Server Apps.\    614/728-3600 x326
OhioLINK                            \    FAX 614/728-3610