Linux

Toens Bueker bueker at bidnix.bid.fh-hannover.de
Thu Aug 15 10:55:01 EDT 1996

marc at ckm.ucsf.edu wrote:

> Over the last few days, I've heard about a Linux implementation that supports
> public key encryption IN THE KERNEL and is available for FTP from outside the
> USA so the paranoid machinations of the USG (not to mention France) when it
> comes to encryption will be moot.

Hey, tell me more about that one ...

> But in general, Linux is NOT a low-maintenance platform.  Unless you consider
> coming home after a random system crash to perform delicate disk formatting
> surgery including convoluted booting procedures from floppy and CDROM to be
> low-maintenance.

I don't know, what you mean by that. I have a
boot/root-floppy-set for all of our machines. After a
crash I boot, configure the net-interface, initialize a
new filesystem and then I get the last backup over the
net. I'm up again after 30 to 60 minutes ... I don't know
how long that takes whith other OSes :-)

By
Toens