Linux

marc at ckm.ucsf.edu marc at ckm.ucsf.edu
Wed Aug 14 21:01:47 EDT 1996

Over the last few days, I've heard about a Linux implementation that supports
public key encryption IN THE KERNEL and is available for FTP from outside the
USA so the paranoid machinations of the USG (not to mention France) when it
comes to encryption will be moot.

I'll trace down some more sources and relay them to the list.

But in general, Linux is NOT a low-maintenance platform.  Unless you consider
coming home after a random system crash to perform delicate disk formatting
surgery including convoluted booting procedures from floppy and CDROM to be
low-maintenance.

If you have the resident support expertise, Linux on a fast pentium compares
favorably to a "real" workstation on speed and price.

-marc