FirstSearch script security

Edward Wigg e-wigg at evanston.lib.il.us
Wed Aug 14 12:37:55 EDT 1996

Madeleine Showalter <mshowalt at library.ci.austin.tx.us> wrote:
>I have been told that "hackers" can enter commands in a form/search engine
which can be
>transferred to your operating system.  This can allow them to get to a
command line
>prompt in your system.  So, I assume that "secure" means to prevent this by
changing
>your CGI script.  That's all I know, I'm just a beginner in using CGI.

This is not wrong, but it is somewhat misleading.

Correctly written CGI programs are secure -- there is nothing inherent in a
form/search engine which gives hackers access. However, (and it is a big
however) there are many CGI scripts out there that ARE insecure -- phf comes
to mind. These do not properly parse form data; they do not filter
illegal/unwanted/dangerous characters correctly from requests. One of the
nasties is not stripping %0A string (hex for a newline) from commands that
are passed to the shell. This can allow a hacker to execute arbitrary
commands on your system (e.g. rm *, or cat /etc/passwd) which might cause
problems depending on file protections and the settings for the webuser
account. This is not the same as getting a command line, but it is a step
towards full access.

It is a good policy to disable all scripts that are not strictly necessary
for operation. You can also grep your access logs for the %0A string to see
if attackers are trying this particular hack.

Some of the above specifics are for unix, but the principles are cross platform.

Edward
Edward Wigg                      "Just another guy, you know?"
Evanston Public Library             e-wigg at evanston.lib.il.us
Evanston, Illinois