FYI: LOCIS via tn3270

Elizabeth L. Brown ebro at loc.gov
Fri Aug 9 12:32:11 EDT 1996

As Jonathan Makepeace pointed out (see below), you can access LOCIS via
Telnet, OR via tn3270.

You can also access part of LOCIS via your WWW browswer via a choice of two
Z39.50 fill-in the form interfaces.  This is for the subset of the database
that contains books with full MARC records (i.e. newer books).  Access to
all of these interfaces is available via the Library of Congress Web Site.
There are also descriptions and instructions available.

Start at:   http://www.loc.gov  and choose "catalog."
Or connect directly to:
http://lcweb.loc.gov/homepage/online.html
where the options are described you'll find pointers to guidelines for
searching LOCIS.

Johathan David Makepeace at Louisiana State Univ. Libraries
<notjdm at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu> recently noted:

>Although one can telnet to LOCIS most of our Technical Services staff
>seem to prefer tn3270 connections to LOCIS.  I mention this only because
>we do not seem to be alone in having assumed until recently that telnet was
>the best way to connect to LOCIS.

*   Elizabeth L. Brown, M.L.S.                            *
*   National Digital Library Program, LIBN/NDL/ES(1320)   *
*   Library of Congress, Washington, DC  20540-1320       *
*   ebro at loc.gov                telephone: 202/707-2235   *
*   Library of Congress Learning Page:                    *
*   http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/ndlpedu/                  *