Indents

Jon Knight jon at net.lut.ac.uk
Fri Aug 2 03:58:57 EDT 1996

On Thu, 1 Aug 1996, Thomas Dowling wrote:
> > Sure, it can be a bit unsightly if you've got graphics turned off,
> > but I don't use a graphical browser only to read text and fill out
> > forms.  If that's all I cared about, I'd be using Lynx.
> >

> I'm sorry I don't have a source for this, but I've seen estimates that 20%
> to 25% of people *using graphical browsers* turn the graphics off.  Maybe
> you don't turn graphics off, and maybe you've got a quick modem, but is it
> fair to make assumptions about your users based on your own behavior?

Just as another datapoint here, the latest X Mosaic has a feature that
lets you specify which domains you don't want to get images from.  I use
this feature to load images from .ac.uk hosts (which are often on the
10Mbit/s SuperJANET network that my workstation is connected to and so
load nice and fast) but delay images from other domains.  I also kill the
images from Lycos and Alta Vista to get rid of the adverts and get more
matches in the window.  This is a really useful feature and I'd expect to
see something similar appearing in the commercial browsers soon.  Having
a graphical browser doesn't mean that you always want to see all of the
images.

Tatty bye,

Jim'll