pointcast

Gary Fouty g-fout at maroon.tc.umn.edu
Tue Apr 16 13:24:15 EDT 1996

I tested Pointcast when it first came out and found it to be a fascinating
concept. Ultimately, though, it was just too business/sports/yuppie oriented
for my tastes.  I also found it impossible to turn off (though this may
reflect my ineptitude).  I finally got rid of it by obliterating it from my
hard disk.  Even so, with the right content I would try it again, at least
on my desktop.  Hard to see the relevance to libraries.  Maybe down the road
there will be cheap 'server' software that performs the same function.  Then
we could set Librarycast as the screen saver on public machines and
'broadcast' the latest news.  In my 1928-vintage building even a weather
report would not be inappropriate.
Gary Fouty                       Science/Engineering Library
108 Walter Library                University of Minnesota
117 Pleasant St. S.E. #108             (612)-624-1851
Minneapolis MN 55455                   g-fout at tc.umn.edu