Buttons & bows, er...image maps

Ernest Perez perez at opac.osl.state.or.us
Mon Apr 1 19:50:24 EST 1996

Got several answers to my question about low-tech ways to do buttons &
backgrounds, etc.  Thanks to all taking the trouble....

Heard about a product I'd not yet heard of or run across called
"Dabbler," by Fractal Design.  Check out their site at
   <http://http://www.fractal.com/d2preview/>

Also heard from Craig Smith, at the Oregon State Library (in my building,
no less!) about a nice site where you can copy/download all kinds of
blank buttons & backgrounds & swashes.  It's "Over the Rainbow" at
       <http://cameo.softwarelabs.com/gini/index.htm>

What can you do with blank buttons?...put 'em into LVIEW or some such,
and resize them to what you want.  Then use a PaintShop or some other
painter program to put the text you want on top of them.

Anyway, hope this is of help.

Cheers,
-ernest

Ernest Perez, Ph.D.//Oregon State Library//perez at opac.state.or.us
Library:  Like a software house, except the software's free.
It's not vaporware.  And if it breaks, they help you fix it.
Quickly.  Without a toll call.

From: Donna Reed <donnare at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us>
  To: Ernest Perez <perez at opac.osl.state.or.us>

I use a graphics package called Dabbler.  It is easy to use.  The only
problem is that you have to convert it from a bmp to a jpg or gif using
LView or PhotoShop or an equivalent.  For an example of buttons produced
this way, see www.multnomah.lib.or.us/ritnet/

-----------------------------

From: "Linda C. Whang" <lcwhang at umich.edu>
  To:  Ernest Perez <perez at opac.osl.state.or.us>

Hi Ernest,
        Adobe Photoshop works well for creating custom-made buttons and
bars with text.  It's expensive, but it's worth it!  Save images as .gif
files for use on the web.

Linda Whang
Alfred Taubman Medical Library                 email: lcwhang at umich.edu

-------------------------------

From:lhyman at mail.sdsu.edu (Linda Hyman)
  To:perez at opac.osl.state.or.us

I am not an expert; but have used a few graphics packages and I think the
best is PhotoShop.  Now don't faint yet!  You should be eligible for an
educational discount if you are a library or school employee.  I bought
PhotoShop for home use for $234.  It may seem like a lot; but it was well
worth the cost.  Of course, it does require 10 MB of RAM....Then once you
get it, take a look at Kai's Power Tips and Tools for PhotoShop
(http://the-tech.mit.edu/KPT/KPT.html).  PhotoShop is available for Mac
or PC use.