Bibliographic Control of Internet Resources

Alain Vaillancourt NDGMTLCD at GSLIS.Lan.McGill.CA
Fri Apr 12 17:32:35 EDT 1996

> From:           Jonathan David Makepeace <notjdm at unix1.sncc.lsu.edu>
> To:             Multiple recipients of list <web4lib at library.berkeley.edu>
> Subject:        Bibliographic Control of Internet Resources

> I am studying issues related to bibliographic (webliographic?) control of
> internet resources, everything from identification of resources requiring
> cataloging to sources and standards for that cataloging (including how to
> keep URL's and bibliographic records current) to how the records display
> in OPAC's and their web interfaces.
>
> Has anyone written a good overview of this recently?  I'm interested in
> all the parts, but I also need to make sense of the whole in an academic
> library setting.

Please post any answer to his question.  I too am very interested in
the subject (as others must be) and in fact have joined this listserv
primarily for exchanging information on this topic.  I am more
interested in subject hierarchies (the neo-nerdish ones set up by
different services like Yahoo as well as the Dewey or L.C. ones set
up by 2 public libraries and 1 university library) than in document
description, but I have found both to be inseparable sometimes when
one considers web documents.

Alain Vaillancourt

ndgmtlcd at libeertel.qc.ca