WinShield woes

Keith Engwall engwall at uthscsa.edu
Fri Apr 12 17:10:54 EDT 1996

This didn't go through the first time... let's try again.

>We've installed WinShield on our public Win95 stations, and have
>experienced a few oddities (as well as a few holes in the security).  I
>recall seeing a few messages here about a hole in the security that
>Netscape allows (this is the File|Open problem mentioned below).  I'd
>like to know whether anyone else has experienced these, and if they
>have found any solutions.
>
>I apologize for this being tangential at best to the topic.  Please
>e-mail responses to me, not to the list.  I'll be happy to respond
>off-list to requests from others as to what I find out.
>
>1) Timedate.cpl (the control panel for changing time and date) is gone
>from *every* computer on which WinShield was installed.  I'm able to
>copy the file from another computer, and the control panel comes back...
>until I re-enable WinShield, after which, *poof*, it's gone again.
>
>(I am PARTICULARLY interested in hearing from others about this, since
>Kent*Marshall claims that WinShield is not responsible for the file's
>disappearance... I'm equally interested in hearing from people for whom
>the file is still there... since that would indicate that WinShield is
>in fact NOT responsible)
>
>2) Users can get access to other control panels by using the Help
>function from the Start Menu, then going under How To, and then using
>the shortcut buttons from within Help.  Kent*Marsh says that the Help
>function is a shortcut and can be removed from the Start Menu, but I
>cannot find a way to do so.
>
>3) Shielded computers do not provide access to the Print Manager.  The
>only way I can see to provide access to the Print Manager is to provide
>access to both the Printer and Control Panel folders under the My
>Computer Icon.  That's too much access... but it'd be nice to be able to
>cancel a print job without having to restart the machine.
>
>4) WinShield does not shield the File|Open window.  Anyone who uses
>File|Open can access the hard drive (unless they back up to the desktop,
>then they cannot get back in, unless they close the program and restart
>it).
>
>5) WinShield does not allow network printing unless the Network
>Neighborhood Icon is visible, along with all the sharing computers in
>the computer's workgroup/domain (I've found a makeshift solution for
>this by placing them in a fictional workgroup... it confuses Network
>Neighborhood enough so that no other computers show up, but still allows
>printing over the network).
>
>6) WinShield does not shield the properties of "My Computer".  Under
>these properties, a user may have access to certain control panels (like
>the one for our video card).
>
>7) WinShield does not shield icons on the desktop from being copied,
>deleted, renamed, etc.
>
>8) Although WinShield does shield the Save function, it does not prevent
>users from downloading to the hard drive when they transfer files using
> [...]

 Keith Engwall            "The boots of evil were made for walkin'!"
 Systems Librarian        "We're heroes, man, not glamour boys!  We don't
 Briscoe Library           have time to be good looking!"
 UTHSCSA                  "Spoooooon!"
 engwall at uthscsa.edu                           - The Tick