Catalog of the Internet: Veronica?

Adlington,Janice;Library; JADLINGTON at kean.ucs.mun.ca
Fri Oct 27 09:01:37 EDT 1995

	I'm preparing for a training session on searching the Internet,
and wondering what to show people.  Reading up on search tools, I come
across statements such as:

	"I expect that Web search sites can take care of all your
	 queries now.  I see little need to use Archie or Veronica
	 anymore."  ("Cataloguing the Web", _Searcher_)

For the last six months, I've been saying similar things ("start with
Lycos, it's great!").  However, recently I've been doing some in-depth
searches where the "good" files showed up on large gopher sites.  Lycos
completely misses these files (presumably because they build their index
by following links, and no one has linked down to this level of
specificity?)

	I'm starting to come around and think I should always search both
Lycos and Veronica.

	Have you experienced this?  What do you recommend in training?

					Janice Adlington
					Memorial University of Newfoundland

(P.S. I'm not going to mention the files that don't show up on Lycos _or_
Veronica...)