Cataloging the Internet, number of documents in the world

Robert H. Terry rhterry at RBSE.Mountain.Net
Wed Oct 18 11:29:22 EDT 1995

Quite possible a standards group needs to be formed (if it has already
please inform me of same) that deals with Library Interoperability Issues.
Ideas like a standard Basic Interoperability Data Model which could be
included in the optional META Tag of HTML Headers would allow for both Robot
and manual searching/retrieval/acquisition.   Libraries need not keep
documents but could interoperate in such a manner that only metadata is
maintained through automated fashions from other libraries.

Actually, as some may remember this is exactly what my project is working
towards in the area of Software Libraries (Repositories).  Though not
ready for public comsumption completely, we have made some major
advancements.  One standard practise we maintain is to not re-invent the
wheel, we reuse the efforts of others.  Instead of running out and
writing code we first research whats out there and really do attempt to
make use of it.  Thus, our work has been concentrating on building an
interface which uses those gathered tools, and generates usuable html
pages for Administrators (librarians).

Bob Terry

http://rbse.mountain.net/MOREplus/