Cataloging the Internet

Tony Barry tony at info.anu.edu.au
Wed Oct 18 11:58:48 EDT 1995

At 12:54 PM 17/10/95, weibel at oclc.org wrote:
>Know your patrons.  Develop the niche.  Remember the Dodo bird.

And coopers, wheelwrights, typesetters, switchboard operators etc ..

The business we and the publishers and booksellers are in is not books or
catalogues or printing but helping communication between those with
something substantial to tell and those who want to know.

On the network the supporting systems that help people communicate may no
longer be that group of industries with which we are familiar.  There may
well be fewer players needed.

Tony

Tony Barry                  URL:http://snazzy.anu.edu.au/People/TonyB.html
Centre for Networked Information and Publishing & also
Centre for Networked Access to Scholarly Information  fone  +61 6 249 4632
Australian National University Library                phax  +61 6 279 8120
Canberra  A.C.T. 0200, AUSTRALIA                      tony at info.anu.edu.au