recent discussion of WWW cataloging?

tweland at mm.com tweland at mm.com
Tue Oct 10 23:09:23 EDT 1995

JQ Johnson wrote "...my impression is that there's a trend away from global
subject catalogs of the web that are human mediated and informed by the kinds of
knowledge librarians bring to the cataloging effort.  For example,
Yahoo..."

I would agree that the majority of web indexes are of the automated Yahoo
variety, and I would argue that all of them are poor indexing tools.  I have
used most, and not one would last a day in a library.  Patrons would be so
frustrated with the number of false hits that they would stop using the index.

On the other hand, OCLC is attempting to bring a more traditional and
disciplined approach to indexing the Internet.  Their WebFirst product indexes
and abstracts Internet resources.  The initial pages are gathered using an
automated search mechanism.  Worth while sites are sent on to human beings who
review the content and pass on worthy resources to an abstractor and indexer
that assigns subject headings and an abstract.  A demo of the system can bee
viewed at OCLC's web server: http://www.oclc.org/

Other librarians, like myself, are designing subject specific indexes of
Internet resources.  See my Internet Directory of Literacy and Adult Education
Resources located at the National Institute for Literacy:
http//novel.nifl.gov/litdir/eland.htm.  It is currently being mounted and should
be fully operational by Oct. 20, 1995.

It is my contention that either librarians get involved and index the Internet,
or we will be stuck once again using inferior indexes designed by those who do
not understand how people search for and use information.  (I also think we
should get involved and produce good indexes to print resources for the 80% of
the world's knowledge that H.W. Wilson et. al. doesn't bother to index, and
therefore we don't see fit to collect.)

Tom Eland, Librarian
Minneapolis Community College Library
tweland at mm.com