Response time

Walter Lewis walter.lewis at sheridanc.on.ca
Thu Nov 30 21:03:40 EST 1995

On Thu, 30 Nov 1995, Michael Engle wrote:

> Does anyone know of studies (formal or informal) on how long users of
> networked computer systems are willing to wait for a document page/image to
> be displayed?  I realize that this a a very complex issue, that user
[snip]

The key element, in what I appreciate is a highly complex matrix of
issues, is how well the user interface communicates to the client the
relative amount of time they will have to wait.

Dumb terminal screen with no clues (2-5 seconds)
Dumb Gopher client with *some* animationi to indicate "work-in-progress":
significantly longer
WWW clients with x of y characters (or visual clues like percentage
bars): significantly longer again --although frustration starts to build
on table intensive pages where the entire table must arrive before the
client can build it on-screen--particularly when the client displays part
of the document as it arrives.

I have long maintained (in considerable company no doubt) that the
success of Windows and Macs are directly proportional to the clues that
the system is *doing* something.

Once you're past that hurdle users make a lot of other decisions about
wait time/network response time/size vs value to them of document, etc.

If they know what they are in for determined users will wait significant
fractions (and multiples) of *hours* to retreve information online (costs
being fixed).

Walter Lewis		  		     walter.lewis at sheridanc.on.ca
Deputy Chief Librarian/Systems
Halton Hills Public Library, Georgetown, ON Canada L7G 2A3 (905) 873-2681