8-bit clean telnet f. DOS/WINDOWS

Thomas Hahn HAHN at gw.sino.uni-heidelberg.de
Sat Nov 25 18:35:45 EST 1995

Dear colleagues,

as librarian of the Institute for Chinese Studies at Heidelberg
Univ. I would like to open up our databases (bibliographic and
fulltext) to the outside world. In order to access these
databases, however, clients have to have a locally
installed version of telnet that provides the toggle "strip high
bit yes/no"; if set to "no" Chinese and Japanese (or any
other "fancy" script) will be displayed properly (provided a
local front-end vernacular C/J/K-script processor has been
loaded).
We do have an old version of C-NCSA (developed in Taiwan back in
1992), but I am looking for newer software, both for DOS and for
WINDOWS.

Is there somebody "out there" who can give me an ftp address for
such pieces of software? I would be most grateful.

BTW: the databases are held on a SUN Sparc10 server at the
institute.

greetings from foggy Heidelberg

Thomas H. Hahn
Librarian, network admin etc.