Copyright

John McKay j.mckay at rave.ac.uk
Thu Nov 23 04:36:55 EST 1995

I agree with Thomas's point that librarians shouldn't
play copyright police officer! The way the UK
copyright law works, however, is that libraries have
been assumed to have responsibility for breaches of
copyright UNLESS they have taken "reasonable"
steps to prevent it. My experience of student users
is that they assume the internet is in some sense
"free" and not subject to the constraints of paper
based publication. We don't "forbid" our users to
download material: we do ask them to be as aware
of the intellectual property rights of others as they
would wish others to be of theirs!

--
John McKay
Ravensbourne College of Design & Communication