rlogin URLs

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Mon Nov 20 14:28:17 EST 1995

What experience do people have with browsers supporting rlogin URLs.  I'm
trying to link from our home page to a large number of terminal-based
applications, and our resident security expert is uneasy that
"telnet://user@host.domain.edu" presents a user with a login prompt.  If
we could rely on browsers supporting it, he would rather see
"rlogin://user@host.domain.edu" and remove one more opportunity for people
to mess around.

I'm stuck in something of a platform backwater at the moment, and can only
experiment with Lynx and OmniWeb (which support rlogin, as you'd expect
from a browser that can run a Unix command line) and Mac Netscape 2.0b2,
which treats it exactly the same as a telnet URL.

Is that what I'm likely to find with other common browsers?

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK