Java, Blacbird and The Future of the Web ...

Tim Minton tminton at GCPL.LIB.OH.US
Mon Nov 20 14:13:44 EST 1995

Removed the talk against switching to various other operating systems other
than Windows 3.11

>It will be many years before our library can afford more powerful computers
>for public stations that could run Java applets.  I really like the potential
>of Java but they should look at the installed base and provide a Windows 3.11
>version as well as ones for Windows 95 or Windows NT.

I have to disagree a little bit here.  With the price of 95 and NT coming down
to affordable price ranges.  If you like the Windows 3.11 interface go with NT
the benefits will be seen.  Also NT can run on a fairly minimum system slowly
but can run. Did you run Dos 2.2 when other software you wanted to run said you
needed Dos 3.3 to run it or did you argue they make the new version to run on
the old Dos?  If the operating system you are running runs the products you
want to run fine, but to make arguements that developers should develop thier
products to run on your choice of operating system is a little unreasonable.
Java requires full 32 bit operation from the operating system .. Windows 3.11
can not do this effectively with it being layered on top of a 16 bit operating
system to start with.

Tim Minton - Systems Analyst                  Greene County Public Library
					      Xenia, Ohio.
        TMINTON at gcpl.lib.oh.us

Anybody can make a mistake but to really foul things up requires a
computer!

Disclaimer - My views are my own.  Not the library's.