I have seen the *past* of the Web...

Whittier Public Library wpl at quick.net
Fri Nov 17 11:53:58 EST 1995

> Java has some great things going for it and will be a very useful tool for some
> problems, but there are other languages that will work well too.  My toolkit at
> home has hammers, screwdrivers, power tools, plumbing tools, etc.  Proper tool
> for each job.  Anyone who says java (or anything other software tool esp from
> .com) is the be-all and end-all of anything needs to step back and contemplate
> the question a bit more thoroughly.

This one hits the nail on the head.  (Facile pun.)  I'm interested in
learning more about Java, but now I need to make an inquiry about a
current tool that's causing us grief, namely, Netscape.

I have posted this query to other lists:  IP-PUB and IP-TEC.
Web4Lib's subscriber list is broader, though, and maybe some
satisfaction is to be found here.

Netscape is not working very well these days.  Frequently, say, once
every two minutes, it shuts down with one of those cryptic GPF
messages.  Occasionally, only Netscape shuts down, in which case we
can reload and start the session over.  More frequently, Netscape,
Newt and Custom (the latter two being Netmanage communication tools)
all shut down:  the only recourse is first to reboot, then start from
scratch.

I maintain that this is a Netscape/Newt/Custom problem, i.e., it
isn't the modem, the phone line, the PC, etc.  I have, according to
suggestions received over the formerly mentioned lists, reduced my
disk cache to zero.  It's too soon to tell whether this measure has
worked, but I know that it hasn't completely resolved the problem.

What gives?  Surely there must be something out there that runs rings
around Netscape?  The message quoted above goes for this product, as
well, I'm afraid.

Dean C. Rowan
Whittier Public Library