I have seen the future of the Web...

The Big Glee Bopper thom at indiana.edu
Fri Nov 17 17:05:41 EST 1995

On Fri, 17 Nov 1995, Wilfred Drew wrote:

> > and it's name is Java. After attending "Java Day" at Sun
>
> Now if only someone would buy our library the machines and software
> powerful enough to use it!!!
> >
> I looked at that home page.  I'm very disappointed to find that it is
> not available for Windows for Workgroups or Windows 3.11.  there go
> the developers of software developing for machines that only larger
> libraries or organizations can afford.  SIGH!!!

Stop sighing Wilfred and get Linux up on a 486 which I imagine your
library can afford. There is already a Linux Port for the Java compiler.
Linux is free, the compiler is free, and Netscape 2.xx supports Java
browsing for Win machines.

The real tough part for many folks will be that they have to learn yet
something new and realize that html just dropped down a level in
importance and perl also since with Java you _don't_ need the cgi-bin.

Hey Wilfred, it just means a few less Monday night football blow-outs! 8-)

--Thom