I have seen the future of the Web...

Timothy G. Kambitsch kambitsch at dayton.lib.oh.us
Fri Nov 17 12:32:18 EST 1995

Roy <rtennant at library.berkeley.edu> asked about Java development in Libraries:

>I would like to know if others are using Java or plan to use it, and for
>what purpose. In particulary, I am wondering if anyone is coding a Z39.50
>client in Java. Thanks,

When I first heard about Java, the first use that came to mind was Z39.50
and other tools for querying databases and library catalogs.  I've not
heard of any specific projects, but I certainly hope that all those local
system vendors (including mine) are evaluating this technology.

I've always seen web gateways to library catalogs as both a step forward
(both in cross-platform client support and overall ease of use) as well as
a step backward (speed, some loss of functionality, and lower network
efficiency)
Java and me-too-Microsoft's announced product look as though they could REALLY
change the face of library catalog interfaces.

I wonder how many Java-related product announcements by Mid-winter ALA?
I wonder how many Java-related product demonstrations by Mid-winter ALA?

Tim Kambitsch <kambitsch at dayton.lib.oh.us>
Dayton and Montgomery County Public Library                   513-227-9560
215 East Third Street Dayton OH 45402                   fax:  513-227-9524