TCP/IP and Windows 95

Kay McCoy mccoykay at wvlc.wvnet.edu
Tue Nov 7 11:18:07 EST 1995

I work for a public library in West Virginia.  We are in the process of
providing internet access to our patrons in 7 county libraries.  Our
initial/demo site is up and running without a hitch (well, sort of  :).  But
now I am trying to replace two of the existing pcs with 2 new Windows 95
pentium machines....

We have a 56K frame relay phone line coming into our building; a router;
we're using Lantastic as our network and have 6.0 on the server and 5.0 on
the others (5 all together).

I understand that the Windows 95 TCP/IP should work over top of the network
(?) (Lantastic 5.0 is not compatible with win95) without installing the
network software.  I have all the IP addresses set up correctly (I think) on
the DNS screen using the Network setup with win95, the gateway is entered on
the gateway screen.  The adapter card is  an Artisoft noderunner 2000 and is
set up as a NE-1000 as per Artisoft's directions.

When I select Internet explorer it says it is looking for the address... and
looking and looking.........and looking.......you get the point!  :)
Eudora tries to "resolve" the address and just locks up.

The networking client seems to default to the Microsoft Network, which I am
not a part of; that bothers me - do I have to sign up on the Microsoft
Network to use the TCP/IP since I am not putting the Lantastic on? Or do I
........well, I could ask questions all day.  Does anybody have any ideas???

Even  shots in the dark would be appreciated!!  I am stuck in the tech
support limbo: no 900 access, no credit card to charge 800 calls on, and a
computer vendor who won't call back!!!!  I've gotten some help off the WEB,
but nothing about connecting through a router.

Thanks.

Kay

Kay McCoy     mccoykay at wvlc.wvnet.edu
Automation Manager                        531 Summit Street
Fayette County Public Libraries        Oak Hill, WV 25901
                                                phone/fax: 304-465-5664
 "it's a long way back to Eden,
      so don't sweat the small stuff"
                 Steven King (Insomnia)