Subject Line, Summaries and Roles for librarians

skindrf1 skindrf1 at teomail.jhuapl.edu
Wed Nov 1 17:25:38 EST 1995

I concur. Unfortunately, I didn't read any of the discussions entitlted:
"Roles for Librarians". :-)

It would be ideal someone who initiated a discussion or asked a question
would post some kind of summary. Just a suggestion.

Jian
Indiana University Libraries

and last weeks really fascinating discussion of the history of the Web was
hidden under Roles for Librarians.  Some day someone is going to want to
do a very important paper on the Web and they might miss all of those
timelines because they didn't think to look under Roles for Librarians.

As far as I could tell, Carlos McEvilly at Los Alamos tried to kick off a
discussion with what I thought were pretty good questions, i.e.,
    The interesting questions are still:

* How does the Internet affect librarianship
* What are the directions for the future
* How can librarians ensure that their future is
  the future they want?
* How should librarians treat the Internet?

I answered with what I thought were a few reasonable remarks about what I and
my colleagues were doing here regarding those questions or issues which I
thought had something to do with the Role of Librarians..(and the Internet).

Unfortunately, somehow we immediately fell into a discussion on the the history
of Mosaic and then we got some timelines and other dates but not much on the
Role of librarians and responses to Carlos's question.

On one hand,I felt a little disapointed because I thought it could become a
really good discussion.  On the other hand it was an upper to see how many
total strangers (3 or 4 anyway) stood up in front of the entire world and said
that I wasn't all that stupid.

I guess that is the summary regarding the Role of Librarians and the Internet.
If anyone would like to continue addressing the above questions I'd be mighty
pleased to see the answers.

Bob Skinder
Library - JHU/APL
410-792-6000 ext. 4685