Helper Applications for Netscape

Jim Campbell jmc at poe.acc.virginia.edu
Thu Nov 9 12:01:44 EST 1995

We've put up a list of applications for our users who are setting up a
Web browser for home use. The list includes links for downloading.
We're going to add some more annotation/tips to it, but it's useful as
it stands at http://www.lib.virginia.edu/tools.html

It's slanted to applications that we are using on our Library's Web
pages, so it includes Acrobat, but at this point does not include the
Ghostscript/GSView postscript viewer.

Netscape has some recommended helper apps on their help pages, but the
best help on helpers that I've seen is actually on the Mosaic and
External Viewers page from NCSA -
http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/Software/WinMosaic/viewers.htm
They have links for downloading, but also good setup instructions that
enabled me to get Ghostscript running after a couple of failed tries
in the past.

The Winsock Client Listing
http://www.mbnet.mb.ca/winter/    and
Consummate Winsock Apps
http://cwsapps.texas.net/ and many mirror sites
are also good sources for evaluations of Web helpers.

Of course, Netscape, which with 2.0b2 is now over 2 Megabytes, will
either soon be at 100MB and include every imaginable type of program or
will develop the Java applets to the point where you simply download
the little program you need to do whatever special task. Of course the
basic netscape.exe will still be 100 MB.

   -  Jim Campbell

Networked Information Coordinator       campbell at virginia.edu
University of Virginia Library            Tel: (804) 924-4985
Charlottesville, VA 22903 USA             Fax: (804) 924-1431

        From "MARY A. DOYLE, SYSTEMS LIBRARIAN, ECSU":

  Which helper applications are libraries adding on to Netscape?  Are there
  standard applications that one should expect to need?  Are any already
  loaded with Netscape but must be configured (besides the standard html
  viewer, etc.)?  Is there a recommended site where they all reside?
  Is there a postscript viewer (non-Mac)?   Is there an orderly
  way of doing this? So many questions!
  Mary Anne Doyle
  Systems Librarian
  J. Eugene Smith Library