Why disable access to software features?

Brian Williams brianw at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us
Fri Nov 3 14:57:40 EST 1995

On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, UNIVERSITEITSBIBLIOTHEEK KU NIJMEGEN wrote:

> > OTOH, there is at least one browser out there that has a kiosk mode built
> > into it; why not use that one?
> >
> > Thomas Dowling
> > OhioLINK
>

> Yes, why not?
> But ... can you give more details? Name, where to download that browser
> etc? You use that browser yourself and are content with it?
>
> Jaap Verbaas
> J.Verbaas at ubn.kun.nl

Mosaic in kiosk mode. Run mosiac with the -k flag, that is like from
program manager, mosaic -k. It radically reduces the options available
for the user. We're using it on a couple of machines we put out lately
and so far like it pretty well. We'd probably rather use netscape in a
kiosk mode, but as far as I know, there isn't one.

We have also used the Borland resource editor to hack up a telnet so it's
use is slightly cleaner than otherwise. You can't get exactly what you
might want from any of these compromises to the original programs. I wish
the library profession had a technical resource that could write programs
for us, test hardware and software, etc. We really need better telnets
and better browsers than are commercialy available, imho.

Brian Williams			Automation Manager
Multnomah County Library  	801 SW 10th  Portland, OR 97205
(503)248-5227 (v) (503)248-5226 (f) brianw at nethost.multnomah.lib.or.us