Why disable access to software features?

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.ohiolink.edu
Fri Nov 3 11:02:50 EST 1995

Ronnie Morgan writes:

<deletia>

>> Blue US Postal Mailboxes dot all across the country. What is to stop

>> someone from sending anonymous (no return address) racist US Mail?

>Let the US Postal service worry about that, I would be worried about someone

>doing it from a computer or terminal that *I* was in charge of.

Good point.  And let's not overlook what kind of budget and staff power the
USPS puts into mail fraud investigations, in no small part because it's so easy
to mail stuff anonymously.

>...If you have 12 computers, and 6

>people were using 6 of them to run IRC, wouldn't you think that to be a waste
>of computer time?  What kind of research could you possibly do in IRC?...

I can easily imagine a professor setting up a guest lecture via IRC, complete
with question and answer session.  Let's not make this kind of
overgeneralization.

>> Why would you remove Open Location? That truly baffles me. So a patron gets

>> a URL out of a newspaper and they want to check it out...

>Yes, but what about that http://www.sex-r-us.com URL?  Would you allow a

>patron to open up that URL?

Yes, I would.  And in the absence of a clear policy related to your library's
mission, I have to wonder how you would justify barring it (assuming you could
do it).

Don't pretend that disabling a Goto command will prevent users from getting to
any given site.  In fact, some institutions are providing a kludgy Goto form
just to support users who have to use a kiosk mode workstation.

I'm uncomfortable with the way this argument conflates restricted workstation
access with restricted net access.  I think the nature of publicly available
workstations demands that the people supporting them put forth their best
effort to head off deliberate or unintentional mischief.  At the same time, I
expect better of the library profession than to use this as an excuse to try
restricting access to any network site.  Obviously, some librarians have an
institutional mandate to try to impose such restrictions; those efforts should
be a result of that mandate rather than an side effect of workstation security.

Thomas Dowling
OhioLINK