Why disable access to software features?

Kevin Broun broun at apple.com
Thu Nov 2 16:48:58 EST 1995

>Remind me why we, as librarians, would like to disable access to some of the
>software's features. I thought librarians were interested in free and equal
>access to information?

Is this a serious question?  In any case, the answer is the same as the
reason why librarians try to prevent people from stealing books:  so other
people have the same opportunity to access the information the library is
providing without adding burdensome extra costs to the library.

- Kevin Broun
  Apple Library