Why disable access to software features?

Mary V. Payne gpye at texas.net
Thu Nov 2 16:03:04 EST 1995

Think about it Eric! Do you really want your patrons, who may or may not
have any idea what the options mean, to go into preferences and reconfigure
your applications, alter the size of your cache, (or even muck with your
fonts and colors)?
If your library had a bookmobile, would you worry that you weren't offering
free and equal access if you didn't let your patrons drive it?
>Remind me why we, as librarians, would like to disable access to some of the
>software's features. I thought librarians were interested in free and equal
>access to information?
>
>--
>Eric Lease Morgan
>NCSU Libraries
>"I have  written a comprehensive book about Macintosh
>computers and the World Wide Web. Read Teaching a New
>Dog Old Tricks at http://152.1.24.177/teaching/manuscript/"

Ginger Payne, Electronic Resources Coordinator
San Antonio Public Library
600 Soledad,  San Antonio, TX 78205
 210-207-2628  E-Mail gpye at texas.net