re expert systems, a PC demo

Ernest Perez, Oregon State Library perez at OPAC.OSL.STATE.OR.US
Sat Dec 16 07:08:09 EST 1995

The expert systems answers have about been done to death. But, please
forgive me just one more.... I want to mention a small library expert
system that you can get via ftp to play with.  And they PAY you for
this? :-)

Back in 91 or 92, I posted a copy of a small experimental reference
expert system to the old LIBSOFT ftp archive. It was an interesting demo
of the possibilities of expert system software technology, applied to
the library area. If you've not seen it before, I think it might be of
interest.

I haven't checked lately to see if 1st Class HT is still on
the market. It commanded a pretty hefty price, something like $2500 or
$3000 for the PC-DOS version...I remember it was the highest-priced
software item I ever got as a freebie review copy!

As I recall, AI Corp ported it upwards to the big iron, and you could
buy versions for DEC minis and for IBM mainframes. With cross-platform
development ability, even....

I just checked the LIBSOFT site at ftp://hydra.uwo.ca/libsoft, and it's
still there. The files are BIOGREF.ZIP and BIOGREF.DOC. Here follows a
copy of the .DOC file, which I just downloaded.

-ernest perez

                    BIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCE ADVISOR
                  A REFERENCE-ORIENTED EXPERT SYSTEM
The BIOGREF.ZIP file includes a compressed version of the Biographical
Reference Advisor, produced ca. 1987 at Goucher College, in Maryland.

I don't think it's really gotten the attention that it merited: 1987,
that was pretty early on! I read about the system during a doctoral
independent studies project on library applications of expert systems
technology.

I contacted the library at Goucher College, who were kind enough to
provide me with a copy. They also gave me permission to pass it along,
in teaching, and even for idle enjoyment....

The system was built as a cooperative project between the Goucher
Library and the Decker Center for Information Technology. It was created
using an early version of the "1st Class" expert system generator. It
has since matured into a much more powerful product, 1st Class HT, and
is now owned and marketed by AI, Inc. I have contributed it to Gord
Nickerson's LIBSOFT archive, at the University of Western Ontario. You
can download by anonymous ftp from hydra.uwo.ca, in the LIBSOFT
directory.

***Remember to ftp the .ZIP file in binary mode.*** And the .DOC file in
text mode.

To install:

* Unzip BIOGREF.ZIP into a new subdirectory on your hard
disk.
* To start the system, at the DOS prompt, enter "BRA" * F1 gives
short help, of course. Operation is basically using cursors to point a
highlight bar, and pressing RETURN.
* I attach below the entry and exit credit screens. It's rather
interesting to experiment with this system. Enjoy.

Cheers,
-Ernest Perez
Life is pain. Anybody that says different is selling something.
Ernest Perez, Ph.D, Oregon State Library,
Salem OR 97310 perez at osl.or.gov 503-378-4243, ext 257

Welcome to the GOUCHER COLLEGE BIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCE ADVISOR! This
system will direct you to some basic reference materials which are
appropriate for researching the biography of a subject of your choice.
Simply answer a set of questions about your subject by following the
instructions which will appear on the monitor screen.
The GOUCHER COLLEGE BIOGRAPHICAL REFERENCE ADVISOR Expert System, a
project of the Decker Center for Information Technology, was built by
Larry Bielawski, Yvonne Lev, Robert Lewand and Barbara Simons. We wish
to acknowledge the contributions of William Hapgood, author of
"1stClass" (c) 1986, and Eugene Sheehy, author of "Guide to Reference
Books" (c) 1986. Please assist us in the improvement of the BIOGRAPHICAL
REFERENCE ADVISOR by taking one of the evaluation forms and completing
it after you have researched your subject. Then simply drop the
pre-addressed form into Campus Mail. THANK YOU!